While we prepared for London's eye surgery I couldn't help but look back at everything he's been through. Poor kid, London has been in the hospital a total of 7 times, 4 of which were for his eyes. The first time he was only 16months old, we were at a brand new water park in Rexburg and a very shining man whole was right next to it and London walked on it and got 2nd degree burns on the bottoms of both feet. Then 3months later, at the same park, he broke his leg going down the slide, with him on my lap. I still feel horrible about it. Then over the next 3yrs he underwent 2 eye surgeries and on the morning of his 6th birthday party he feel down the basement stairs and had to get 12 stitches. Then 2 more eye surgeries over the next 2 yrs.
He is such a trooper. He's been through more than Anthony and I put together. We're expecting great things from this kid :).
3 out of 4 of the surgeries have been in St. Louis at the Children's Hospital which has made all the difference in the world, they have been so great there.
While talking about it and reminding him what happens at the hospital he was as cool as a cucumber and even excited, because, you get to play video games and watch TV.
As we dropped off Miles and Ellie to a friends house we headed on our way and I could see that he was starting to get nervous, and I'll be honest, so was I. I hate doing this, I hate making him go through this. It's scary every time, and I don't think I'll ever get use to it.
All of his surgeries before have been first thing in the morning, so he eats dinner the night before wakes up and we go. This time he wasn't scheduled to go in till 1:30 and the surgery wasn't scheduled till 2:30. We woke up early and I made him his favorite breakfast, Egg and Bacon Burritos and Cinnamon Bread. Then starting at 7:30am nothing to eat only clear liquids till 11:30. We let him play video games and watch movies, something he's not allowed to do until Saturday's. Something to at least take his mind off not being able to eat. As we drove to the hospital at 1pm he was starting to get very hungry. Then, when we showed up, they were running behind in the surgery room so he didn't end up going back till after 3pm. By this point he was starving and very nervous, they gave him something to calm him down a bit before they wheeled him back. The nurses where great, so kind and loving, they were pros.
Our friend who was watching our kids was very kind and kept updating me and letting us know that the kids were doing great and that they were having a blast. It was so nice to not have to worry about them. It ended up be much later then we had anticipated so we are very appreciative to her for caring for our 2 little ones.
They called us back as soon as London started to wake up. Now this is my least favorite part, I've almost passed out 2 out of the 4 times he's done this. He is in so much pain when we wakes up and he doesn't feel like he can open his eyes, and when he does get them open it's blurry and he see's double. He cried and trashed around. Anthony was able to hold him and calm him down a bit. It took 3hrs for him to finally wake up without freaking out, drink, and eat a Popsicle. On the way home he was absolutely starving so we stopped and grabbed a bean burrito at Taco Bell for him just like we have done the previous 3 surgeries.
When we picked up the kids it was already 8pm and we were all exhausted. Sweet Diana made us some dinner so that we could eat something when we got home. Anthony hadn't eaten anything since breakfast, he had told London he wouldn't eat until he could eat, and I had had a few crackers for lunch. It was such a blessing. When we got home our water was off, and since we had dinner we didn't even have to worry about it. My wonderful Visiting Teacher April brought dinner over for us as well. It was perfect and so thoughtful, because had they asked me I would have told them no, we're good. Finally at 10pm all the kids were asleep and London slept in our bed that night, I was so exhausted that I didn't even mind.
Now a week later, London is healing well. His eye is still Red but he's good. We are hoping this will be his last surgery. Anthony will be taking him up to the school and working with him in the clinic on strengthening his muscles. It's been a long and somewhat frustrating experience but feel very blessed that now Anthony knows so much more and he'll be able to do things with him that other Dr.s didn't even try.


1 comment:
man, what a tough kid! we love you London!
Post a Comment