Sunday, October 4, 2009

Forget Yourself and Go To Work!


I don't usually share my thoughts and feelings on my blog but after these past few days, I feel like at least for myself I needed to write this down.

At the moment we are living with Anthony's parents while we are in this transition period of our life. Anthony's mom broke both of her ankles, and has need our help doing a lot of things, It's been great getting to know her better, and the boy's adore her I am grateful to serve her in this way. But that has kept me pretty busy as well as taking care of my boy's.
I've been horrible and so utterly selfish! I've been on this pity train for long enough, all I could think of for these past few months that we've been here is woe is me; I don't get to decorate for Autumn and Christmas, it's not my home, I don't feel like I can invite people over (you know how we like to entertain ;)), Pappa's a grump, it's not my kitchen....well you get the point. I was just feeling completely sorry for myself.
I started feeling constantly down and had little energy to really do anything. Well I got sick all last week and really had no energy I was sick all week and thankfully Anthony's schedule was a little less so I got to take it easy for a few days, it was really nice. While resting, I decided that I NEEDED to get out of this rut. That I wouldn't let Satan have this hold on me anymore.
I remembered the words spoken by President Hinkley's Father while he was on his mission in England, He told his son to "Forget yourself and go to work". That's what I need to do, forget about my pity troubles and worry about those around me. Befriend the friendless, comfort the weary and bring strength and comfort to all who come in contact with me.
Isn't that what life is all about? Service? What would Christs ministry be without it. There's more to the word service then just serving it's to bring hope, love, charity, and above all else a pure love of Christ to all we meet. Even if it's with just our smile, we can spread that warmth to everyone around us.
This is my promise this day, to complain less, to worry less and put my faith in the Lord, to be more grateful, grateful that we have a place to live, food to eat, family surrounding us, a good ward, a beautiful place to live, an adoring husband who still things I'm cute, and brags about me to his friends at work, and 2 adorable little boy's who love me!
My life has been truly blessed, and although we don't always get what we want when want it, we always have something to be thankful for. So it's time to forget myself and go to work!

10 comments:

Dana Scarbrough said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts- what a good reminder- especially after all the scripture we heard this weekend!

jess said...

needed this today Laura! Thank you! I too am guilty of the pity party - something about being dirt poor and living the student life even though I am turning 30 next month tends to turn me into a selfish, entitled little booger. that was my one hope over conference weekend - to really find inspiration to help turn my view outward instead of inward. from what i was able to hear (you know how it is with 2 little ones!) i felt touched by all the messages about love and how to receive personal revelation. i sooo needed the spirit to confirm these things to me as it did.
you are awesome. seriously. i don't know that i ever told you when we were neighbors- when i grow up i want to be like you. so creative, so happy, so loveable, and such a fantastic mother and wife. i am positive you don't give yourself enough credit - most women don't! hang in there- you are an inspiration to all the young moms who come in contact with you - even if they never say it (like i didn't!)

lancer said...

What a great attitude. I have returned to my parents' house two times since I've been married and it really is a drag, so don't feel like you are the only one with those feelings. Tonight as I did a sink full of dishes I was at least glad that it was my kitchen. It is hard living in someone else's house when you have your own family to take care of.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...I want to work on all of that too!

lancer said...

Oops! I'm logged into Lance's computer...this is Amy Rondeau. :)

Sarah said...

I know what you mean... even though we are SO incredibly blessed, it is so easy to get down sometimes about how we feel or what we have to do. I hope you get feeling better. You are a great example to me.

Lauren said...

Well said! Although I just have to say...I totally understand how you feel! It can be exhausting when you feel out of control of your life! Hang in there! You have a great attitude!

Dusty and Mel said...

Thanks for that Laura! I needed to hear that as well!! Are you feeling better? Oh, and I had a dream last night that you were pregant with a girl and due to have your baby a month after me! Well, I don't think that will happen but maybe you will get your girl next!! love ya!

Rach said...

so the only place we get stuff now is craigslist. really its the only place.thats where we got our camera.

My cousin is a photographer, and I took her advice in getting a Nikon. I dont plan on going professional, at least not yet but I did want a nice camera that gave me that option for later if I wanted. We got a Nikon D80. They are not cheap but when you buy used, you get a way better deal.The Cannon Rebel is apparently great as well, does advanced stuff but not too intimidating.

Before we talked to my cousin we went to a camera store and told them what we were looking for and they showed us several different options.

bottom line, decide what you want to do with the camera, and if you are going to buy one, buy one that you plan on having for a long time. I am SO glad we did it. So many great pictures of my kid(s) that are irreplaceable. I am no expert by any means, Chad knows way more about the camera than I do, I just dink around on it slowly when I have time.

Katie said...

I really needed to read that. I think that Satan tries to get a hold of us in anyway he can. If it's not sin, then it is something else. Funny enough, but I have been feeling like I'm not enough (That same pitying attitude). Thank you for reminding me to forget myself. To help those in need. Thank you Laura. You are such a good friend. I miss you. I was looking at pictures of Everett's birthday party yesterday, I just really missed you. You are such an amazing person. Really, I'm not just saying that. I hope that life offers you all the good things!...and only a little bit of the bad, because we all know there has to be bad in order to be good. :)Things will get better. They always do. :)

Cathryn said...

Good for you Laura, learning that at such a young age! We all have to learn it sooner or later, but it sure helps us through the rough spots later if we have the strength of the conviction of service you shared.

You are a great example of womanhood!